I thought I would explain a little about zentangle art in case any readers haven’t seen it before. The basic idea is that you divide your canvas into sections and then fill each section with a pattern. It’s traditionally done in black ink on white paper, but many introduce shading and colours after trying a few basic pictures. There are lots of examples of patterns to use online and you can create your own if you wish.
The reasons I think zentangle art is a good idea include:
- Anyone who can hold a pen can do zentangles; you don’t need artistic ability.
- Drawing zentangles requires some concentration. Therefore it brings your attention to the present moment and gives you a break from dwelling on the past or worrying about the future.
- Zentangles are traditionally drawn in ink. If you make a mistake then you incorporate it into the design and move forward. I think this is a good analogy for how to ideally handle life’s hiccups.
Some suggested resources:
- A basic beginners guide: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Zentangle
- Instructions and lots of example patterns to follow: http://tanglepatterns.com/zentangles
- The official zentangle website: https://www.zentangle.com/
- Online image sites such as Google Images, Pinterest and Flickr
Here’s a simple one I made: