Month: September 2015

Textile Art week 3: Creating a textile collage

This week we were asked to create two small collages using the angelina fabric samples created last week and a variety of fabrics. I bravely cut up my favourite angelina fabric sample from last week as it was the only one that went with the fabric samples I was given to use. to create the collages, we cut up the fabrics to make two 6-inch squares. The fabrics were then ironed on to Bondaweb, and then the collage was ironed onto a plain piece of backing fabric.

I had heard of Bondaweb previously but never used it before. It’s really useful stuff. It has a layer of glue blobs, then a fine mesh layer, then another glue blobs layer and finally a paper layer. You first attach your fabrics to the top glue blobs layer, then peel off the backing paper an attach your fused fabrics to the backing fabric. It comes in different weights.

Here’s what I created:

IMG_1265_small IMG_1269_small

Next week we are learning about using the sewing machines to embroider and attach other threads to the collages. Looking forward to it 🙂


Textile Art week 2 – More fun with angelina fibre

For the second week of the course we were shown some techniques for creating fabric with the angelina fibres.

The first technique was layering. We put down some of the angelina fibre onto a baking sheet, then placed other materials on top, and finally another layer of angelina and then fused it together with an iron. I used sequins, a feather and dried hydrangea petals. Others in the group tried punched paper, wool and embroidery threads and small pieces of fabric. Here is what I ended up with:

IMG_1256_small IMG_1259_small

The second technique was embossing. We simply put the angelina fibres over an embossing stamp, put the baking sheet on top and ironed. I wasn’t so impressed with this technique because it was difficult to see the embossed image clearly. A simple stamp on coloured fibres worked better. He’s what I ended up with:


The third technique was stamping. I first made a stamp of a star shape. To make the stamp, a jam jar lid was provided.  It had been sanded down to aid adhesion. I cut out a shape in thin foam, used pva glue to attach it, and then used a heat gun to dry it quickly.


Then to stamp, I inked my home made stamp in blue ink, then put some of the angelina fibre on top, put the baking sheet on top and ironed it. I’m not keen on the colours I chose. What some of the group used which worked really well was gold ink on white angelina fibre.


Textile Art: Angelina Fibre

In order to gain some new artistic skills and inspiration, I have just started a stitching and textile art course at my local college. The first class was introducing us to some fibres. Angelina was the most interesting one. It’s a form of polyester. It’s available in lots of colours and is sparkly :). We had to cut up a small amount, put in inside a baking sheet and then iron it. On heating it became a beautiful plastic film which could then be used in lots of artistic ways. I used blue and pink and the pictures below show what I ended up with. I’ve put black card behind it so the colours show up. The colours change depending on the light reflected.



Below is what white angelina looks like prior to melting. (image source and copyright

I think I am going to enjoy this course and will have some interesting creations to share over the next three months 🙂

I Love You

After using a guided meditation where you spent time with your inner child, I decided to create this expression of love for my inner child. 


© northernrose17 and A Therapeutic Art Journey, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to northernrose17 and A Therapeutic Art Journey with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.