This week we were taught Shibori. It’s basically a Japanese form of tie dyeing. We used white silk and silk paints. First the silk is wrapped around some sort of tube and scrunched up. We used drink bottles or pipes to wrap around. The fabric was secured to the tube with elastic bands and then we had the option of adding string to add to the textures created. Here is an example of wrapped and scrunched up fabric:
Image source & copyright http://crafts.tutsplus.com/tutorials/dye-a-t-shirt-using-the-shibori-pole-wrapping-technique–cms-20874
Next we painted the wrapped fabric. I used pipettes to drop silk paint onto the fabric. You can also use paint brushes or any other paint application device you can think of.
Finally, we used a heat gun to dry the silk, then unwrapped it and ironed it.
Here is my test sample. I was intending it be be a mixture of brown, orange and yellow, creating an autumn theme. What came out looks like fire and what I’d describe as a happy accident 🙂
This is what happened when I used different colours on a silk scarf. I’m not sure if I like it.
This week was the last week of showing us new techniques. The final few weeks of term we are free to work on what we like. My intention is to create another silk sun catcher and decorate it with machine embroidery. I have signed up to continue the course next term so will hopefully have interesting textile work to share in the new year.
This week we were shown silk painting using salt. It is very easy. All you do is paint your silk with silk paints, and whilst it is wet, put salt onto the silk fabric. What the salt does is to absorb some of the paint and water creating interesting effects. You can use different sized salt granules to get different effects. You leave the salt on for a few minutes and then brush it off. This technique can be used with other water-based paints, particularly watercolour.
This is a sun catcher that I painted with silk paint and salt. The blurring effects and dots are created by the salt. I intend further developing this piece at some point, possibly by stitching the outline of a fairy.
I also created this free hand butterfly.
I haven’t continued the collages from my previous post due to missing the course for two weeks, and an evening spent faffing about with dysfunctional sewing machines. I may return to them at some point.
Last night we started silk painting. It was my first time silk painting and I enjoyed it, even it if was simple. We first had to paint a colour wheel, mixing secondary and tertiary colours from primaries. The tutor had already prepared with silk with gutta to stop the paints running and we filled in the coloured bits.
We then had to choose one of the colours from the wheel and experiment with lighter and darker tones. In the boxes. The box with the dot in is the original shade. In the boxes to the left more and more water was added to lighten the tone of the original colour. Then in the boxes to the right we were supposed to darken the tone by adding the opposite colour from the colour wheel. The centre box was red-violet and I added yellow-green to it to get the colours to the right. I thought the idea was to obtain a darker tone so don’t really understand the result.
The next task was to try mixing different colours to see what the result was. Along the top is yellow-orange, blue, blue-green and red-violet, and down the side is blue, blue-green, yellow-orange and red-violet. Then in the grid is the result of mixing the two colours from each row and column. It was made difficult because the tutor didn’t supply nearly enough paint pallets and so I had to keep washing and remixing paints instead of just creating one red-violet and keep using the same one. I will take my own pallet next week!
With a few minutes to spare I also had a play on a scrap piece of silk.
Next week we are learning about using salt with silk paints. The tutor showed us some samples of her work and it looked like some fascinating effects can be created. Looking forward to it!