I haven’t continued the collages from my previous post due to missing the course for two weeks, and an evening spent faffing about with dysfunctional sewing machines. I may return to them at some point.
Last night we started silk painting. It was my first time silk painting and I enjoyed it, even it if was simple. We first had to paint a colour wheel, mixing secondary and tertiary colours from primaries. The tutor had already prepared with silk with gutta to stop the paints running and we filled in the coloured bits.
We then had to choose one of the colours from the wheel and experiment with lighter and darker tones. In the boxes. The box with the dot in is the original shade. In the boxes to the left more and more water was added to lighten the tone of the original colour. Then in the boxes to the right we were supposed to darken the tone by adding the opposite colour from the colour wheel. The centre box was red-violet and I added yellow-green to it to get the colours to the right. I thought the idea was to obtain a darker tone so don’t really understand the result.
The next task was to try mixing different colours to see what the result was. Along the top is yellow-orange, blue, blue-green and red-violet, and down the side is blue, blue-green, yellow-orange and red-violet. Then in the grid is the result of mixing the two colours from each row and column. It was made difficult because the tutor didn’t supply nearly enough paint pallets and so I had to keep washing and remixing paints instead of just creating one red-violet and keep using the same one. I will take my own pallet next week!
With a few minutes to spare I also had a play on a scrap piece of silk.
Next week we are learning about using salt with silk paints. The tutor showed us some samples of her work and it looked like some fascinating effects can be created. Looking forward to it!