I started out with a white silk sun catcher. The original plan was to create a peaceful picture of a tree. I first used silk paints to create the background. I applied the green and blue paint, and then put salt on to create the effects. Larger granules were used for the middle section of the sky, smaller granules for the edges of the sky and the grass.
I thought the sky had a mystical feel to it and would be wasted on a tree, and so I changed the design to picture a unicorn instead.
The water marks weren’t part of the plan and I decided they needed to be covered up. I used two tones of felt wool to create bushes to cover up the water marks. These were attached to the sun catcher using Bondaweb.
I decided to sew over the top of the bushes to add interest. I then created the unicorn from felt, attached it using Bondaweb, and machine sewed the lines on the unicorn.
I decided I didn’t like the machine stitching on the buses so removed it. I instead hand sewed a few beads onto the buses to add interest as well as to better secure the felt wool to the sun catcher. Then the final details were added using a mixture of hand and machine sewing.
© northernrose17 and A Therapeutic Art Journey, 2016. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to northernrose17 and A Therapeutic Art Journey with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.